By Chris Goldberg
TopLaxRecruits.com, Posted 5/6/13
One of six undefeated teams in the TopLaxRecruits.com Rankings, Mt. Sinai (N.Y.) has stamped itself a Class C state contender.
The Mustangs (13-0) have beaten defending Class C state champion Shoreham-Wading River (14-8 on April 25) as well as Eastport-South Manor (9-8 in double-overtime) and Sayville (8-6). Mt. Sinai also toppled Wantagh, 14-8, at the Long Island Challenge on April 27.
“I’m really happy with our season so far,” said the Mustangs sophomore Kasey Mitchell (committed to Stony Brook). “We just had a big win against one of our biggest rivals, Shoreham. We have been playing really well this season and have been working really hard and it’s been really paying off.”
Sophomore Sydney Pirreca (committed to Florida) said the Mustangs have played with intensity all year.
“I don’t think we have ever had this much heart,” she said. “We have something in the back of our heads from two years ago when we lost States (9-8 in the finals to Christian Brothers) and I think that is what is pushing us to go hard every game.
“The biggest key is to stay together and be as one. We are a family and we keep each other going. I think that if we stay how we are and we keep composure and if we don’t get ahead of ourselves, we will be successful. Hopefully we will get as far as we can.”
Mt. Sinai coach Al Bertolone said his team has high expectations.
“Our goals are to win Suffolk County and move on to the State tournament and win the Class C State championship,” he said. “We get better every time out.
“There is a lot of road left to go, but we have been (meeting) hurdle after hurdle so I’m looking forward to us continuing this run. It’s always one game at a time with us; we don’t look too far ahead.”
The TopLaxRecruits North America Girls’ Rankings
1. McDonogh School, Md. (19-0) Prev: No. 1
2. Garden City N.Y. (12-0) Prev: No. 3
3. Moorestown, N.J. (15-0) Prev: No. 2
4. St. Anthony’s, N.Y. (10-1) Prev: No. 4
5. St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes, Va. (21-1) Prev: No. 5
6. Georgetown Visitation, D.C. (15-1) Prev: No. 7
7. Mt. Sinai, N.Y. (13-0) Prev: No. 9
8. West Genesee, N.Y. (13-0) Prev: No. 8
9. Marriotts Ridge, Md. (13-1) Prev: No. 6
10. Mt. Hebron, Md. (11-2) Prev: No. 10
11. Harriton, Pa. (15-1) Prev: No. 12
12. Bay Shore, N.Y. (12-1) Prev: No. 11
13. Manhasset, N.Y. (10-2) Prev: No. 13
14. St. Paul’s School, Md. (11-4) Prev: No. 14
15 Bryn Mawr, Md. (10-4) Prev: No. 15
16. C.M. Wright, Md. (13-1), Prev: No. 16
17. Century, Md. (12-2) Prev: No. 17
18. Darien, CT (11-1) Prev: No. 18
19. Vero Beach, Fla. (20-4) Prev: No. 20
20. Westwood, Mass. (12-0) Prev; NR
Under Consideration: Amador Valley, CA. (16-1); Carondelet, Ca., (16-3); Conestoga, Pa. (13-3) Farmingdale, N.Y. (10-2), Maryvale Prep, Md. (10-4); Milton, Ga. (14-3-1); New Canaan, Ct. (11-1), Sayville, N.Y. (12-2); Ward Melville, N.Y. (10-4); West Islip, N.Y. (12-2)