By Renee Olivett
TopLaxRecruits.com, Posted 2/16/17
The Preseason TopLaxRecruits.com Girls’ Southern Rankings for 2017:
1. St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (VA) 25-1: The Saints defeated No. 2 Bishop Ireton, 12-5, to win the Virginia Independent State title last year. They should be one of the top teams in the country.
2. Bishop Ireton (VA) 20-4: The Cardinals fell to St. Stephen’s in the Virginia Independent state final, but won the DC WCAC title. They also have the potential to be a Top 10 team nationally.
3. Cardinal Gibbons (N.C.) 22-0: The Wildcats finished undefeated as state champions. They return at least seven D1 commits and will be a state favorite.
4. Walton (GA) 17-5:The Raiders stunned Milton to claim the Georgia 6A State Championship. They have enough talent to challenge again.
5. Milton (GA) 19-3: The Eagles look to reclaim the Georgia state title.
6. Vero Beach (FL) 19-5: The Fighting Indians also look to reclaim the state title after bowing to Bartram Trail, 8-7, in overtime in last year’s final.
7. Bartram Trail (FL) 19-6: The Bears overcame 10-time state champion Vero Beach, 8-7, in overtime to win the Florida state crown. They look to reload.
8. Robinson Secondary (VA) 21-0: The Rams won the Virginia Class 6A State title with an undefeated season. They remain a state favorite.
9. Charlotte Country Day School (NC) 20-1: The Buccaneers claimed the state Independent championship and are favored to repeat.
10. Episcopal Dallas (TX) 18-3: The Eagles fell in the state finals last year, and will be a major contender in 2017.
Under consideration: Apex (NC) 15-2, American Heritage (FL) 20-3, Bishop England (S.C.) 16-1, Blessed Trinity (GA) 20-1, Coppell (TX) 14-5, Ensworth (TN) 16-3, , Lake Highland Prep (FL) 17-2, Langley (VA) 17-2, Hutchison (TN) 19-3, Mill Creek (GA) 20-1, Olympia (FL) 21-3, Ponte Vedra (FL) 14-4, St. Anne’s-Belfield (VA) 17-5, St. John’s (TX) 20-2, St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) 13-4, Wakefield (NC) 17-2.